*Review best according to redakciey. About the selection criteria. This material is subjective in nature, is not an advertisement, and does not serve as a guide to purchase. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Action cameras have become an integral part of travel. Many bloggers share their impressions of exciting trips around the world, recording countless videos on such devices. Their advantages are simple: compact size, ease of use and long enough autonomy. However, there are also disadvantages that relate to the level of quality and equipment capabilities: as a rule, such cameras are very limited in their applicability due to the lack of the ability to change the lens.
Over the past few years, Sony gadgets have shown the greatest qualitative growth in the segment. In this regard, the editors of the journal with the support of resource analysts rankquality.com we decided to make a rating of the best action cameras of this Korean company, as well as tell you what you need to pay attention to when choosing a good and efficient model. The following criteria were used to select products for the rating::
- technical parameters of cameras;
- customer reviews and expert opinions;
- cost parameter;
- level of reliability and equipment (complete set).
How to choose an action camera
When choosing an action camera, many buyers start from the basic matrix indicators, namely, the number of megapixels, which affects the quality of shooting. This approach is possible, but we recommend that you pay attention to other parameters as well:
Form factor.This aspect is responsible for the shape of the action camera. At the present stage, only 3 form factors are distinguished:
- rectangular or square – a traditional type of device that is easy to find in any store. As a rule, such cameras are cheap and it is for them that the bulk of additional equipment is developed.
- cubic-a more voluminous type of action camera that combines ease of manipulation and a nice design. It doesn’t differ dramatically from traditional models, but it almost always costs more.
- in the form of glasses – the most advanced type of action cameras that are integrated into tourist safety glasses. Allows you to capture first-person shots, i.e. follow the environment through the eyes of the operator. They are expensive, so they are not so common in hardware stores.
Permission.This parameter determines whether the cameras belong to the Amateur or professional category. At this stage of development, gadgets that shoot in HD (1280×720) or Full HD (1920×1080) resolution are considered Amateur devices. But those cameras that shoot in Ultra HD (3480×2160) are considered Pro-devices.
On the one hand, the higher the resolution, the more detailed and high-quality the content is. However, it will take up more space in the device’s memory, which is why you will need to buy a large (and expensive) flash card.
Frame rate.This aspect of video recording is usually inseparable from the resolution. It’s simple: the higher the fps, the smoother the video gets. To achieve acceptable shooting results, just 30 frames per second at 1920 x 1080 pixels of resolution is enough. However, now devices are widely distributed, the frame rate in which can reach 60 and even 120 frames per second.
Type of stabilization. There are 2 main types of image stabilization:
electronic (digital) – the task of compensating for frame jitter and blurring is solved using a Central processor. It cuts off up to 10% of the image around the perimeter, thereby increasing the clarity of the image without using a tripod.
- optical is a fundamentally different method of image stabilization that preserves the original image size. Any deviation of the camera is compensated by turning the lens in the opposite direction. As a result, the image is clear and smooth. These devices are more expensive and consume more power from the built-in battery.
Management. In simple models of action cameras, control is carried out manually, using buttons on the case. More modern and advanced devices can be controlled via a remote control, as well as via a smartphone thanks to a special application and a connection via Wi-Fi/Bluetooth.
The matrix.Finally, we should talk about the matrix. As the action camera segment progressed, experts began to divide models according to the power of this element:
- 5-8 megapixels is a good solution for those who want to shoot in HD and Full HD resolution. It copes well with its functions during the day, but it performs much worse at dusk and at night.
- 8-20 megapixels – more interesting matrix options that allow you to record video in the dark. These options are perfectly combined with Ultra HD 4k resolution, but we recommend paying extra attention to the quality of the backlight.
Rating of the best action cameras from Sony
|Rating of the best action cameras from Sony||1||Sony FDR-X3000R||28 990 ₽|
|2||Sony FDR-X3000||23 990 ₽|
|3||Sony HDR-AS50R||19 990 ₽|
|4||Sony HDR-AS300||16 990 ₽|
|5||Sony HDR-AS50||12 990 ₽|
The presented action camera model is perfect for creating impressive content even when driving at high speed. It has a single Exmor R CMOS sensor with an effective resolution for photo and video shooting of 8.2 megapixels. At the same time, the maximum resolution corresponds to the Ultra HD 4K format. It is also worth noting the shooting frequency of 30 frames per second. For professional content, this is more than enough.
The Sony FDR-X3000R has an optical image stabilizer that tracks the camera’s offset angles relative to the fixed axis. This measure allows you to avoid blurring the image on photos and videos. Thanks to the capacious battery, the device can work independently for up to 2.5 hours – this is also commendable.
- you can work in the cold – frost-resistant;
- stylish design solution;
- a remote control is available;
- there is protection from moisture and water;
- the presence of an optical stabilizer.
- there is no neutral density filter for operation in bright light conditions.
The second line of the rating goes to the FDR-X3000-a simplified version of a solid new-generation action camera. Thanks to the 8-megapixel sensor, it provides excellent shooting in all the presented modes. Perfectly keeps the battery charge and has an optical image stabilizer, which allows you to avoid blurring photos and videos.
Among other things, the Sony FDR-X3000 has a triple digital zoom function and can record adequate quality even with total zoom. The gadget comes with only one lens from Carl Zeiss Tessar, but it is enough to produce a fairly high-quality and diverse content. There is also an automatic image focusing system, which is important. In conclusion, we note that the video camera is able to work offline for up to 2.5 hours thanks to a 1240 mAh lithium-ion battery.
- there is no extraneous noise when shooting;
- excellent image stabilization, even under severe shaking of the camera;
- high-quality footage;
- compact and lightweight model (114 grams);
- shooting at intervals is possible;
- charge the battery for 2.5 hours of continuous operation.
- a lens that is not resistant to scratches and scuffs.
The Sony HDR-AS50R is a low-end camera from Sony. It has an Exmor R CMOS sensor of 11.1 megapixels. Unlike the FDR series, the maximum resolution of photo and video shooting is 1920 x 1080 pixels, which corresponds to the Full HD format.
Analogies between the HDR-AS50R and the competitors above can be drawn in terms of peripheral equipment. The presented model uses Carl Zeiss Tessar optics, identical to those used on the FDR-series. The camera’s aperture has a focal length of F2. 8, which allows you to significantly influence the depth of field and thereby improve the exposure. The battery life of the device reaches 3 hours thanks to a capacious lithium-ion battery. Due to the fact that the model supports a mobile application, and also has a Wi-Fi module, the user has the opportunity to control the camera directly from their smartphone. The kit also includes a Live-View family remote, but if it gets lost, a duplicate mobile phone-based remote control system will come to the rescue.
- excellent stabilization;
- impact-resistant plastic housing;
- there is no extraneous sound interference even when shooting in a noisy area;
- availability of an ultra-wide-angle lens;
- backlight on the back of the video camera;
- compact and lightweight (83 grams).
- there may be rare malfunctions during remote control.;
- a small viewing angle that creates a fisheye effect.
Another representative of Full HD 1080p action cameras that support shooting large-format videos and have a matrix with a resolution of at least 8 megapixels. The camera is equipped with a liquid crystal screen and an optical image stabilizer, so that the recording of media content can be carried out even with dynamic, “torn” movement. The case of the device is designed to support high standards of quality and protection, so that neither dust nor moisture can get under it (thanks to the aquabox in the kit, it can safely dive to a depth of 60 meters).
The Sony HDR-AS300 is perfect for long trips to nature: the camera’s battery lasts up to 2.55 hours, allowing you to capture the brightest moments. The gadget is equipped with a built-in GPS sensor, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth module, as well as a whole scattering of ports for flash cards and other drives.
- excellent shooting in low light conditions;
- there is stabilization, which allows you to avoid blurring the image even with sudden movements;
- compact and ergonomic design;
- lightweight (only 109 grams);
- excellent quality of recorded audio (however, there is no filtering of high-frequency noise)
- the camera turns on more slowly than its competitors;
- there is no protection for the flash card port: it can be inserted on any side, even with a slight skew.
The cheapest and unremarkable, but at the same time a favorite of users representative of action cameras from Sony. The HDR-AS50 has an 11-megapixel CMOS sensor, which does not behave well at dusk and at night, but allows you to get a juicy and detailed picture in good daylight. The focal length of the lens is adjustable from 18.4 to 21.8 millimeters, thereby allowing you to change the angle of capture of the camera and situationally adjust to the captured events.
Unlike competitors, this device has an electronic image stabilizer-the image can shake slightly when recording in motion. However, there is no need to complain: consumers highly value the potential and abilities of the camera in terms of the purchase price. In addition to Full HD recording, it provides a whole set of additional “lotions” that allow you to shoot both on land and under water. By the way, do not forget about the low weight of 53 grams, which makes the HDR-AS50 the lightest device in the rating.