*Review best according to redakciey. About the selection criteria. This material is subjective in nature, is not an advertisement, and does not serve as a guide to purchase. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
The Japanese company Sony is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of multimedia equipment. It is especially known for its cameras. Sensors created by this manufacturer are installed in smartphones, cameras, and almost all other devices that are only capable of taking photos and videos. Therefore, it is not surprising that the Sony cameras themselves are of the highest quality and functionality.
For fans of high-quality camera work-even if you are shooting a walk in the woods or a celebration with the closest people-we have compiled a rating of the 5 best Sony video cameras that are practical and functional.
Rating of the best Sony video cameras
|Rating of the best Sony video cameras||1||Sony FDR-AX700||88 870 ₽|
|2||Sony FDR-AX100E||75 900 ₽|
|3||Sony FDR AX-33|
|4||Sony HDR-CX625||23 400 ₽|
|5||Sony HDR-CX405||14 390 ₽|
Why it works: Support for video shooting in 4K, powerful zoom.
The company itself calls this model not just a camera, but a camcorder, taking it to the next level – the level of professional shooting. And this is not surprising. The compact and lightweight device, which weighs just under a kilogram, is capable of recording at 4K 30 fps (or Full HD 120 fps), supports 12x optical and 198x digital zoom, and supports manual adjustment of shooting parameters.
The heart of the camcorder is a 14.2-megapixel CMOS sensor with a physical size of 1″. It is complemented by a fixed lens with a focal length from 9.3 to 111.6 mm (which is just due to optical zoom) and an aperture of f/2.8–f / 4.5. installation of filters with a diameter of 62 mm is supported. This is complemented by a mechanical image stabilizer to eliminate the shaking effect when shooting with your hands.
The camera is also equipped with a 3.5-inch 1.5-megapixel LCD touch screen and an advanced viewfinder.
- Low weight of the device, only 935 grams;
- Rich delivery package, including a lot of useful accessories;
- Support for shooting videos in 4K UHD resolution.
- Low frame rate when shooting at maximum resolution;
- There is no media included (no memory cards, no internal storage of the device itself);
- The H. 265 codec is not supported, which reduces the “weight” of high-resolution video.
Why it works: Support for ultra-high-resolution video recording, low weight.
The FDR-AX100E is similar in many ways to the FDR-AX700 model. However, it is equipped with a less powerful image processing processor. Otherwise, the technical characteristics of this model are similar to the parameters of the rating leader.
In particular, the FRD-AX100E model is equipped with a 12.4-megapixel CMOS sensor with a physical size of 1”. It is complemented by a lens that supports 12x optical zoom and 160x digital zoom. The aperture is f/2.8–f/4.5. you can manually set the exposure and focus, but you should use automatic focus modes – there are five of them, and they work well even during zooming. A mechanical image stabilizer is also available.
An LCD touch screen for easy use is also available. There is also a viewfinder.
The video camera can shoot in 4K, while providing maximum image sharpness. Although the frame rate in this mode is only 25pro fps.
- “Honest 4K” with increased clarity of objects in the frame;
- Possibility of detailed manual adjustment of all shooting parameters;
- There is a night shooting mode and infrared illumination.
- Slow autofocus;
- The proprietary format of the “Shoe” to connect external devices, you will need the adapter;
- Proprietary format of connectors for connecting remote control devices, standard lancs will not work.
Sony FDR AX-33
Why it works: ultra-Compact video camera with support for ultra-high resolution shooting.
Despite the fact that the FDR AX-33 video camera is considered by the manufacturer to be an “Amateur” device, professional operators will also appreciate it. A high-performance image processing processor installed in the device allows you to receive an “honest” 4K video stream. And at the same time, the device weighs only 600 grams!
The device is based on an 8.29-megapixel CMOS sensor with a physical size of 1/2. 3”. It is complemented by a fixed lens with a focal length of 3.8-38 mm (10x optical zoom is supported) and an aperture of f / 1.8–f/3.4. there is also a digital zoom, 120x. Manual focus and exposure settings are supported, but there are also automatic modes of operation.
The video camera is also equipped with a mechanical image stabilizer, which is complemented by an electronic one, and a 3-inch LCD touch screen for convenience (there is also an electronic viewfinder).
- Low weight, only 600 grams, hands do not get tired during long-term use;
- High-quality dual (optical plus electronic) stabilization system;
- High detail at a resolution of Full HD at 50 fps.
- The appearance of strong noises when zooming, it is better not to use this function;
- Not the best quality “picture” in the dark;
- Added 4K for a check mark – the speed is too slow to use this feature regularly.
Why it works: Low mass and high zoom.
The main advantage of this video camera is a large optical zoom. It is higher than the previous models in the rating, and is 30x. In addition, digital zooming up to 350x is also supported!
In General, the HDR-CX625 is quite a good mid-range camera. It is equipped with a 2.29-megapixel CMOS sensor with a physical size of 1/5. 8”, which is complemented by a non-removable lens with a focal length of 1.9-57 mm and an aperture of f/1.8-f / 4. Manual focus and exposure settings are supported, but for those who don’t want to “bother”, the camera offers several different automatic modes of operation. The maximum video stream resolution is Full HD 60 fps.
The device is also equipped with an optical image stabilizer, a 3-inch LCD touch screen and a digital viewfinder. There are intelligent modes of operation, including face focus and timelapse.
- Huge zoom – 30x optical and 350x digital;
- Good stabilization performance, even when zooming in;
- Tiny dimensions and a weight of only 300 grams.
- Overheating when used in hot weather;
- Poor quality of the “picture” in low light, no illumination (neither normal nor infrared);
- Poor quality of the LCD screen matrix.
Why it works: a Budget video camera with excellent zoom.
Despite the fact that this video camera is cheaper than other models in the rating, it boasts excellent zoom capabilities. The installed lens and image processor provide 30x optical and 350x digital zoom, respectively. It is worth noting that the stabilization system also works when zooming.
Like the previous model on the list, the Sony HDR-CX405 is based on a 2.29-megapixel 1/5. 8-inch CMOS sensor. It is complemented by a non-removable lens with a focal length of 1.9-57 mm and an aperture of f / 1.8-f / 4. Manual focus and exposure settings are supported. The video camera is capable of shooting with a resolution of up to Full HD 50 fps. There are many intelligent operating modes and parameter presets.
The camera is very light – only 215 grams. It is equipped with a non-touch 2.7-inch LCD screen and a digital viewfinder. There is a face-based focus mode.