*Review best according to redakciey. About the selection criteria. This material is subjective in nature, is not an advertisement, and does not serve as a guide to purchase. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Today, there are hundreds of smartphone models on the market from dozens of manufacturers. Even in offline stores, you can find a lot of devices from a variety of vendors. And the “virtual shelves” of online stores like Aliexpress are completely strewn with smartphones from unknown manufacturers like Vkworld or Doogee. How do I choose the right device?
Rating of the best smartphone manufacturers
|The best low-cost smartphone companies-budget up to 5000 rubles||1||Digma|
|The best smartphone manufacturers in the average price range up to 20,000 rubles||1||Xiaomi|
|4||Samsung (series J)|
|Top premium smartphone brands||1||Apple|
|2||Samsung (S series)|
What to pay attention to when choosing a smartphone
When choosing a smartphone regardless of the manufacturer, you should pay attention to the following technical characteristics::
- Amount of RAM. A feature that determines the smartphone’s performance. The “minimum viable” volume is 1 GB, but, of course, more is better;
- The amount of permanent memory. The internal storage device stores the operating system itself and installed applications. Therefore, if there is not enough permanent memory, you may not be able to install new programs and games. the “Minimum viable” amount is 8 GB;
- Generation of processor. The fresher the chip – the better: it consumes less power, heats up less, and runs faster;
- Version of the Android operating system. It just so happens that Google’s ” even “OS versions work more stable and smoother than the” odd ” ones. So, smartphones running on Android 4.4 KitKat, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and Android 8.0 Oreo are recommended for purchase.;
- The capacity of the battery. The higher it is – the longer the smartphone will work without connecting to an outlet. Smartphones equipped with a battery of less than 2000 mAh are not recommended for purchase.
- It is also important to identify the characteristics that you need. For example, if you plan to spend a lot of time on the Internet, then you should buy a smartphone with 4G support. For photography, the camera’s resolution is crucial – the higher it is, the better. But for fans of viewing media content on the screen, the display resolution is important.
The best low-cost smartphone companies-budget up to 5000 rubles
Digma is a Russian-Chinese manufacturer of mobile electronics. The smartphone line includes several dozen ultra-budget devices running on MediaTek and Spreadtrum processors. The devices are simple and nothing special, but reliable, which makes them a good choice in the budget price segment.
The flagship smartphone series is called VOX, and the latest model at the end of 2017 is VOX Fire with 4G support, a 5-inch HD screen covered with 2.5 D glass, 8 GB of permanent memory and a 5 MP main camera. The price is appropriate-much lower than 5 thousand.
- The minimum price;
- There are some interesting devices.
- Very low performance of manufactured smartphones.
Alcatel is a Chinese manufacturer of telecommunications equipment. It produces not only smartphones, but also various switches, equipment for mobile base stations, etc. Mobile devices from this manufacturer are distinguished by a “youth orientation”: they offer characteristics that children and teenagers will definitely like – bright body colors, led panels, a high-resolution front camera, etc.
Alcatel has two budget lines at once-Pop and Pixi. There are no fundamental differences between them. The devices are quite suitable for everyday use, but do not survive falls very well.
- The optimal price;
- Attractive design;
- Latest firmware versions;
- Poor build quality and used components.
Fly is a Chinese manufacturer of ultra-budget smartphones. It often produces devices under other brands (for example, special models for mobile operators). It also has its own” premium ” sub-brand, Wileyfox.
In the ultra-budget segment, this manufacturer has four lines at once:
- Power-smartphones with a capacious 4000-5000 mAh battery;
- Selfie-smartphones with a front-facing camera resolution of 8 megapixels or more;
- Cirrus-smartphones with a 2.5 D screen and a “premium” design;
- Nimbus is an ultra-budget line aimed at young people (bright body colors).
The company updates its smartphone lines every three to four months. Typical problems for the brand were not noticed, so with a budget of up to 5 thousand rubles, you can buy a device from Fly.
- Variety of models;
- Good quality of Assembly and components.
I come across low-performance devices.
ZTE is one of the largest manufacturers of smartphones and telecommunications equipment in China. Like Fly, it often produces devices for other brands. The company has three smartphone lines – the flagship Axon, the budget Blade and the “youth” Z. It is worth noting that after 2014, ZTE reduced the production of smartphones, focusing on telecommunications equipment-it is working on 5G networks.
Smartphones of the budget Blade series are similar in characteristics and user experience to Honor models from rival manufacturer Huawei. Despite their price, they are distinguished by the most beautiful design in the ultra-budget segment and good performance.
- Attractive design;
- Good technical characteristics.
- Relatively high price;
- I come across low-performance devices.
Rating of the best smartphone manufacturers in the average price range up to 20,000 rubles
Xiaomi is one of the largest Chinese manufacturers of electronics and home appliances. It produces smartphones in the mid-range and top-end price segments. In the range of “up to 20,000 rubles”, the Redmi line deserves the most attention. And especially – the 3S model, which, despite the price of 11-14 thousand rubles, depending on the seller, is equipped with 3 GB of RAM and 32 GB of internal memory, an energy-efficient MediaTek processor and even a fingerprint scanner.
In addition, the A1 model deserves attention. Unlike other Xiaomi smartphones, it runs on the” pure ” Android 7.1 Nougat operating system, and is also equipped with a dual camera and a high-performance Snapdragon processor.
Other Xiaomi smartphones run the proprietary MIUI operating system based on Android. This should be taken into account when choosing, as this environment offers an unusual user experience.
Another non-critical drawback of Xiaomi is the limited support for contactless payment of Android Pay, even in those models that are equipped with an NFC module.
However, despite these two non-critical flaws, Xiaomi smartphones are among the best in the mid-range price range.
- Lots of great devices in the mid-range price segment;
- High functionality of smartphones “out of the box»;
- Regular updates;
- Unusual user experience;
- Smartphones are focused on the Chinese market, which leads to the appearance of non-localized programs in the firmware or to functional restrictions when used in Russia;
- Limited functionality in some aspects;
But the main advantage of Meizu smartphones is the screen. The display is bright, crisp, rich, with excellent color reproduction.
However, Meizu smartphones have one important drawback. All of them are released exclusively for the Chinese market and therefore are delivered without pre-installed Google Play Services (including the Play Store). You’ll have to download and install them yourself.
- Superior screen quality;
- Regular updates;
- User-friendly, intuitive interface;
- Smartphones are focused on the Chinese market, which leads to serious functional limitations in the firmware (which, however, can be circumvented).
Huawei launches two smartphone lines – the budget Honor and flagship Mate. The most interesting device in the first one –Huawei Honor 6A.Despite the price (9-10 thousand rubles, depending on the retailer), the smartphone is equipped with:
- Metal housing;
- 5-inch HD display with excellent color reproduction;
- With a fingerprint scanner;
- 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of permanent memory;
- The EMUI 5.1 operating system is based on Android 7.0.
- Works Huawei Honor 6A fast, stable and just nice. And the same is true for almost all Honor series smartphones released after 2016.
But Mate has one of the best cameras on the market. But they cost more than 20 thousand rubles.
- Lots of great smartphones in the mid-range price range;
- Fast and stable operation;
- Good quality of the camera and other components;
- User-friendly, simple interface;
- Irregular and often missing updates.
Samsung (series J)
Samsung has a huge number of lines, series and just models of smartphones. Only about 50 current ones! But the most interesting of the budget series is the j line.
In the J series, Samsung produces relatively inexpensive, but at the same time high-quality and fast smartphones. Moreover, the J3 and J5 models of fresh revisions are recommended for purchase (updated annually). They are equipped with a good camera, a fairly productive “stuffing” and a capacious replaceable battery, which is enough for a whole day of mixed use. They also have the latest version of the operating system-Android 6.0 Marshmallow or even 7.0 Nougat.
There is only one drawback. Smartphones of this series are equipped with an IPS-display, and not AMOLED, as in the current revisions of the a line. Therefore, such attractive software “features” as the constant display of the clock on the screen or highlighting the edges when receiving notifications do not work in them.
- Low price;
- Lots of pre-installed apps;
- High functionality;
- Relatively low performance;
- Possible ” glitches»;
- Non-standard user interface in the latest versions of the operating system;
- Too many pre-installed apps that duplicate each other;
LG has a huge number of smartphones belonging to the mid-range price range, and most of them are not included in a specific series. But there are some common features between them. Among the unequivocal advantages of LG smartphones in the middle price range can be distinguished:
- Nice screen with natural colors (similar to sRGB mode on AMOLED displays);
- A lot of practical software features (access to your phone, notes, camera, messages, etc. directly from the locked screen; control the font size with “tweaks” right in the app interface);
- Not a bad camera;
- Long battery life;
- Maximum stable signal reception.
In addition, among the devices of the middle price range, there are even “following trends” models. For example, the LG Q6. It is equipped with an “elongated” 18:9 display (like the Samsung S8, Google Pixel 2 XL or even Apple iPhone X) with rounded edges. And it looks really nice.
The disadvantage is the non-standard location of the power key – for most models, it is located on the back panel, directly under the camera. This will require a habit. In addition, the fingerprint scanner is a rare guest in LG’s mid-range smartphones.
- User-friendly, intuitive interface;
- High quality components;
- Good network connection quality;
- Lower performance than its mid-range counterparts;
- Non-standard keyboard layout.
Top premium smartphone brands
Apple releases iPhone smartphones – and, in principle, this review can be completed, since this line does not need to be presented.
The main advantage of iPhone smartphones is their balance. In other words, you don’t need to pay attention to the RAM, camera, or processor when choosing a device.in any case, the device will work smoothly and take beautiful photos. And in the 2017 models, the software shooting algorithms have also been improved, making the iPhone an almost ideal tool for a mobile photographer.
When buying an iPhone, it is better to take the latest models. They get the most up-to-date versions of operating systems and at the same time maintain high performance after each update. In addition, Apple is constantly improving the camera, screen, processor and other components, making smartphones more and more perfect.
- Excellent optimization of the operating system;
- Superior camera quality on the latest models;
- Fast, smooth, stable operation;
- Lack of customization options;
- Requires synchronization SOFTWARE.
Samsung (S series)
If the smartphone requires the highest performance, then you should pay attention to the S series from Samsung. These devices are equipped with the most top-end processors and the maximum amount of RAM. Thanks to this, the smartphone works incredibly fast and easily copes with even the most complex tasks.
High performance is indicated, for example, by the fact that Samsung released a special DOX dock with the S8 release. If you connect it to a monitor and install a smartphone in it, you will get a full-fledged computer with support for multi-Windows, keyboard and mouse input, as well as other “features” – except on Android.
- Highest performance;
- Excellent delivery package;
- Regular updates of the operating system over a long period of time;
- Excellent quality of the camera and other components;
- High price at the start of sales;
- A huge number of pre-installed apps that duplicate each other;
- High maintenance and repair costs;
Sony smartphones are an excellent solution for mobile video enthusiasts. Indeed, it is Sony that makes cameras that are used by all other manufacturers (including Apple and Samsung, as well as Google and Huawei that occupy the top of the DxOMark rating), why would it deprive its smartphones of at least something?
A Prime example– supports slow motion shooting at 120 frames per second. It first appeared in the Sony Xperia XZ smartphone. And only then this function was “pulled apart” by other manufacturers. Sony does not skimp on optics for its camera modules, installing the best lenses.
In addition, Sony uses the Bravia Engine in its smartphones, which provides maximum color saturation on the display. In combination with native 4K resolution (as in the current flagship Xperia xz Premium) and HDR support, a rich and clear picture is obtained (which is slightly spoiled by pastel shades of the system interface).
And another advantage of Sony smartphones is that almost all of them support 2 SIM cards.
There is also a drawback. A non-standard design may not appeal to most customers, and a lack of development may displease most geeks. Indeed, all premium Sony smartphones are similar to each other both visually and technically.
- One of the best cameras on the market;
- Excellent sound quality thanks to Walkman technology;
- Many useful preset functions (for example, Stamina power saving mode);
- Bright, rich screen with Bravia Engine technology;
- Lack of technological and software development;
- Non-standard and not always beautiful design.
Attention! This rating is subjective in nature, is not an advertisement, and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.