The main reason for combining a kitchen with a balcony is to increase space. The interior of the kitchen connected to the balcony is always interesting and unusual, because the room takes a non-standard shape. There are 2 options for such a combination: dismantling the balcony block (door/window) and demolishing the entire wall separating the kitchen and balcony. The kitchen in a small apartment, which has an adjacent balcony, has great potential and a lot of hidden functionality that allows you to usefully optimize the space.
How to use the area efficiently
Usually, the decision to combine a kitchen with a balcony is formed on the practical needs of residents, i.e. the solution is purely technological. Everything needs to be carefully thought out and determined exactly how the additional area will be used.
- A full-fledged work area.The kitchen unit (sink, stove, refrigerator, countertop) is taken out of the room. The most difficult thing in this design is to summarize the relevant communications. However, difficult doesn’t mean impossible!
- Canteen.That is, the reverse option. After the exterior balcony wall is removed, the work area remains in the room, and the dining table and chairs are moved to the former balcony. Thus, the useful area is significantly gained, due to which additional kitchen equipment can be installed in the kitchen (oven, large refrigerator, etc.) if there was not enough space before.
- Stylish bar.An original way to use the usable area in a small apartment. By installing a panoramic double-glazed window, a long countertop under it, and high bar stools next to it, you can create a very stylish interior. An excellent solution is to organize a place for storing drinks and glasses under the countertop. By the way, as a rack, you can use part of the wall of the former window opening, where the window sill was.
- Space for equipment.Often, the kitchen area in typical apartments does not allow the installation of large household appliances. Combining a balcony with a kitchen can solve this problem in no time. Removing the oven, large refrigerator, freezer, washing machine and/or dishwasher to the former balcony is an ideal solution.
- Recreation area.Having placed a small sofa, coffee table, a couple of Ottomans, you will get a great place for small gatherings over a Cup of coffee/tea, reading magazines or the morning press.
- Storage room.Having equipped the balcony space with cabinets, shelving, shelves, you can organize an ideal storage space. For example, one side is for household chemicals, and the opposite side is for cereals, blockages, and other non-perishable provisions.
The entire space is designed in the same style. For example, you can zone a room by selecting zones using decorative and finishing materials that differ in texture, texture, and color.
An excellent solution is to make one solid (kitchen/balcony) stretch ceiling. And to separate the work area from the dining room, the former opening can be decorated with an arch, semi-arch or decorative half-columns and lighting.
From the kitchen, the parquet floor smoothly passes to the balcony with laminate flooring (or Vice versa). The same tile, but different shades. You can make a podium, thereby separating the dining room from the work area.