The motor cultivator is an indispensable assistant for gardeners and gardeners. The main tasks of the soil cultivator include plowing and loosening the land, as well as hilling, cutting furrows and harrowing the soil. This type of agricultural machinery is quite popular and relatively easy to use.
However, when choosing a unit, it is important not to lose out with its quality, characteristics and price. After reading this material, you will learn how to choose a motor cultivator, what power unit you need, what type of engine and transmission is the most practical and reliable, as well as maintenance features and types of additional attachments.
What is a cultivator?
Cultivator– this is a light agricultural equipment necessary for tillage. The tasks of the cultivator include: loosening the soil before sowing, preparing beds, helping with fertilizer application, plowing (usually not virgin land), tilling the soil in a greenhouse, hilling trees.
Mechanical cultivators are a thing of the past, replaced by electric and gasoline ‒ powered ones. We devoted a separate article to the first, then you can compare and choose the best option for yourself: self-sufficiency of gasoline or convenience of electricity.
General advantages and disadvantages of the cultivator
- easy to use;
- distribution of operator’s physical activity;
- weight sufficient for comfortable operation of the operator;
- save time (for manual digging));
- low cost (in comparison with the tillers).
- they are focused on processing loose, non-virgin land;
- designed for relatively small areas;
- most models of cultivators do not have additional attachments;
- this technique requires motor lubrication, proper care and careful use.
Tillers and cultivators: what is the difference
Working on the ground requires considerable effort. Modern technology can significantly simplify this hard work. For example, tillers and cultivators will facilitate plowing, weeding, hoeing, and some other operations. The main difference between a cultivator and a tillerblock is the power and number of operations they can perform.
They are similar in purpose, but differ in capacity, the number of operations performed, and the depth of land cultivation
Motor cultivators are small lightweight devices with a power of 3-6 horsepower. The main purpose is loosening the soil with a milling cutter. Other operations and work with other tools are possible, but not on all models and not with all soils.
Tillers — more powerful devices-from 7 HP-with a wide range of functions. They can handle plowing (working with a plow), loosening (milling cutter), hoeing, mowing grass, etc. As an additional feature-the ability to transport goods or move a small trailer.
Device and varieties of motor cultivators
The first motor cultivators were created at the beginning of the XX century. The device was powered by a heavy electric motor, which required a constant voltage from the mains. The fact is that at that time there were no compact and at the same time powerful internal combustion engines. As a result, summer residents were no less tired than after manual work, and the cable that connected the device to the network significantly limited the range. Modern devices have got rid of various shortcomings of their old counterparts.
If you do not go deeply into the technical features of these devices, then we can say that the cultivator consists of the following components::
1. The power unit, in the role which may be an electric motor or an internal combustion engine;
3. Running gear;
What to choose
How do I choose what to buy? Which is better, tillers and cultivators? It depends on the size of the site that you plan to process, the list of works that you want to automate, and the soil on the site.
Where and why it is better to use motor cultivators
For a cottage, garden, vegetable garden with an area of up to 10-15 acres, a motor cultivator is quite enough. Especially if the soil is light. This device performs good soil loosening and row spacing processing, but it usually works at the same speed. Only some, more expensive models can have two speeds, even less common is the ability to change the direction of travel (reverse).
The main equipment is milling cutters. For different row spacing widths, they can be of different sizes. Replacing the cutter takes little time, which is convenient. Only the heaviest and most powerful (read — expensive) models can handle plowing, and even then, on light and medium soils. And we are not talking about deep processing.
Small motor cultivators are the best choice for processing small areas
Some owners adapt hilling machines to more powerful models. The quality of processing is not always high. It is normal only on light soils. Even with preliminary loosening, the row spacing has to be corrected manually. Although the job is certainly much easier.
The wheel, most often, is one — Central, solid cast. That is, during operation, some effort will be required to keep the gun in a stable position. In General, for a standard suburban area, a motorcycle cultivator is an excellent choice. Larger areas require more powerful equipment.
Scope of application of tillers
If the area of the cultivated area exceeds 20 acres, it makes sense to buy a tillerblock. Unlike motorized cultivators, they have several transmission speeds, the ability to reverse. There are usually few speeds, 2-3 when moving forward and 1-2 when moving backward.
The number of attachments for tillers is greater: in addition to milling cutters, you can put a plow, mower, Hiller. Due to the greater capacity of the soil is faster, it is possible to a great depth. The depth changes due to the installation of weights that lower the cutter or plow lower.
Tillers have two pneumatic wheels, which makes them more stable. Efforts at work are minimal, you only have to control the direction.
What should I pay attention to when choosing a cultivator?
- A brief description of the 3 classes of cultivators will help you choose:
A) class “Light” (mini-cultivator):
- compact, easy to start;
- processing area – small (up to 3 acres);
- it can be easily transported in the trunk of a car, weighs an average of about 12 kg (maximum-up to 30 kg);
- good for women and the elderly;
- it has a not very powerful engine (less than 3 HP, with a volume of about 33 CC), easy to start, economical fuel consumption;
- it is characterized by maneuverability;
- 4-petal cutter (ideally) pulls out the roots of weeds;
- small milling cutter width (up to 35 cm);
- the speed of rotation of the cutters is small – about 130 revolutions per minute;
- the working depth is approximately 22 cm;
- suitable for working in hard-to-reach areas;
- can be carried manually (models weighing 8-13 kg);
- suitable for garden beds and greenhouses, but not suitable for virgin land.
B) “Medium” Class (compact class):
- the average price category;
- not very heavy (from 40 to 65 kg) and maneuverable;
- milling cutter width – up to 85 cm;
- designed to work on limited areas (up to 500 square meters).);
- more powerful (from 3 to 5.5 HP), has an engine capacity of about 98 CC.;
- it is recommended to pay attention to 4-stroke models with a chain gearbox;
- the depth of soil treatment is from 24 cm to 35 cm;
- availability of transport wheels;
- possibility of mounting additional milling cutters, Hiller;
- suitable for garden beds, previously plowed areas, but not suitable for virgin land.
C) The “Heavy” Class»:
- the high price;
- equipment for a strong man, weight-over 70 kg;
- suitable for plots of 1.5 thousand square meters (1-2 ha);
- the working width of the milling cutters varies from 60 to 85 cm;
- very powerful (more than 5.5 HP), the engine has a volume of about 160 CC.;
- it is advisable to choose high-quality cutters made of hardened steel;
- often has the ability to attach attachments;
- transportation wheels are required;
- suitable for both previously plowed and virgin land.
- Engine type– this is the second crucial parameter when choosing a cultivator. The following factors will depend on the type of engine: power of the unit, performance and cross-country ability, cost, the need for lubrication and maintenance, and the durability of the cultivator. Our rating below shows models of cultivators with internal combustion engines (with 2-stroke engines (running on a mixture of gasoline and oil); and with 4-stroke engines (running on gasoline)).
A) Petrol 2-stroke
- independent of the power supply;
- very high power output;
- high performance.
- the high cost;
- preparing a mixture of gasoline and oil before work;
- fuel and oil costs;
- need for maintenance;
- repairs are more expensive and more difficult than repairing 4-stroke engines;
- very noisy;
- not eco-friendly, not suitable for greenhouses.
B) Petrol 4-stroke
- independent of the power supply;
- high enough power;
- easier repair than a 2-stroke engine.
- high cost (more expensive than 2-stroke ones);
- fuel and oil costs;
- need for maintenance;
- noisy (but less noisy than 2-stroke);
- exhaust gases, not suitable for greenhouses.
- The gearbox of the cultivator.When choosing a cultivator, not only the engine plays a huge role, but alsothe gearbox.This element is part of the transmission. The durability of the equipment depends on its quality and features. It is the gearbox that transmits the motor’s torque to the milling cutters / working part and wheels (during transportation).
A) Chain reducer(it is inexpensive, has a large resource, it is advisable to purchase a model with a collapsible gearbox);
B) Worm gear(it is inexpensive, compact, suitable only for light cultivators, as it is designed for NOT very heavy loads, has an unpleasant self-braking effect);
C) Gear Drive(expensive) andgear and chain reducers(cheaper) – these two types of gearboxes increase the operational quality of the cultivator, and are installed on very powerful cultivators.
Less used in cultivators ‒the friction clutch– due to the friction of the master and slave disks.
- Clutch, number of gears and reverse:A cultivator is quite a serious technique, and the presence of a clutch is an indispensable basis for high-quality work. In order not to go too deep into technical details, you should just pay attention to the fact that heavy cultivators must have a clutch with a release clutch, and for a budget light cultivator – an automatic centrifugal clutch.
When choosing a heavy, high-performance cultivator, give preference to models with 2 or more gears.
The presence of a reverse gear (reverse) is desirable for medium and necessarily – for heavy cultivators.
- Functionality and attachments:
- Milling cutters (for loosening and plowing previously cultivated land);
- Transport wheels (for transporting the cultivator from the garage to the garden);
- Ground grapplers (to improve traction, eliminate slipping on soft ground);
- Hoppers (for hoeing beds, bushes);
- Scarifiers (for cutting the soil for oxygen enrichment);
- Potato diggers;
- Lawn slatters;
- Ploughs for virgin land.
Each cultivator is equipped with milling cutters and wheels for transportation. All other attachments are purchased and installed additionally. Milling cutters and ground hooks are attached directly to the shaft. The rest of the equipment is usually trailed.
If you have the opportunity to purchase a powerful and heavy cultivator and need attachments, consider the possibility and method of installing the necessary tools.
Easy – a budget option for an Amateur summer resident
Their weight ranges from 9 to 30 kg. And the power, usually in the range of 1-3.5 HP. compared to more powerful models, light cultivators have only one drawback – the inability to use in large areas. The maximum area that you can work on is 15 acres.
However, there are clear advantages in light models:
Affordable price.The power of such equipment is low, which directly affects the price. Such motor cultivators will cost less than other analogues;
Mobility.Transportation of the device usually does not cause any problems. The cultivator easily fits in the trunk of a car. And the relatively small mass of equipment allows you to carry it yourself;
Work in hard-to-reach places.Light and compact motor cultivator will work the land in corners, between beds, near trees and other places where you can not approach with larger equipment.
The simplest models with a power of up to 1.5 HP are suitable only for already developed land and are able to loosen the soil at a depth of up to 10 cm. They have only one forward gear, and the speed of rotation of the cutter is 130 revolutions per minute. Densely trampled land or virgin land will not succumb to the attempts of a weak soil cultivator, so the demand for them is low. However, if your goals for working with the site are not global, and the land has already been treated earlier, you can look for a device with similar power. It is also worth noting that such basic components of the unit as motors and gearboxes for these devices are not maintainable due to their low profitability. Often such devices are equipped with electric motors.
But, as already mentioned, the power of light motor cultivators can be higher – up to 3.5 HP. Such devices can be an excellent assistant for the gardener. Their weight is 20-30 kg. At the same time, cultivators no longer have one, but two speeds. The first produces up to 130 revolutions per minute, the second-about twice as much. This technique is capable of cultivating the ground to a depth of 20 cm. But the width of the milling cutters, such an aggregate, usually does not exceed 35 cm, which is a disadvantage, since it will take more time to process the site.
Medium – the best option for a gardener or Amateur gardener
These devices have a weight of 40-65 kg and a power of up to 5.5 HP. They are usually equipped with three gears (2 front and 1 rear), are capable of tillage to a depth of 35 cm, and the width of the passage is up to 85 cm.
These characteristics are quite enough for avid summer residents and even semi-professional farmers and gardeners. They are often used in small and medium-sized areas where regular tillage is required (2-3 times a year).
They weigh an average of 50 kg, which makes the device stable and gives additional comfort to work. In addition, such motor cultivators have enough power to additionally install various additional equipment devices, for example, a mounted plow.
Another advantage is the ease of handling. If you’ve never picked up a soil cultivator, don’t worry. A new acquisition is not an abstruse mechanism that you can’t figure out without instructions and “100 grams”. Everything is simple, reliable and efficient.
A heavy tiller or walking tractor
Often such a device is compared with a tillerblock, their power is more than 5.5 HP, and the weight is more than 70 kg. With it, you can already plow vast areas of virgin land. This unit can be used both in small farms and Amateur gardeners.
Their capacity is sufficient for processing an area of 1-2 hectares. Models with 9 “horses” can easily plow up to 5 hectares. The depth of tillage for such devices is 20 cm, and the width of the milling cutters is more than 60 cm. The device allows you to install various additional attachments and even a trolley. The last motor cultivator is capable of towing with a weight of up to 300 kg (the exact figure depends on the selected model). The main disadvantage of the device is the high price. But given the characteristics of the equipment, this is not surprising.
Learn more about petrol, diesel and electric cultivators
Percentage of tillers sold
The light agricultural machine is designed for working the land with milling cutters. Motor cultivators often have a set of attachments that simplify weeding the soil. Some manufacturers will have to buy it separately. Classification of cultivators:
- petrol engines;
- diesel engines;
- electric ones.
Liquid fuel cultivators belong to the average price category. They are productive, easy to manage. Examples of models: TARPAN TMZ-MK-03, PATRIOT Denver, Huter GMC-6.5. Advantages of a gasoline cultivator:
- low noise level;
- works in all weather conditions;
- virtually no vibration from the steering wheel;
- not tied to a power source.
The disadvantages of gasoline cultivators include:
- work exclusively at high speeds;
- need for full annual maintenance;
- quick failure when using cheap gasoline.
Garden tools made in China. Lightweight, weighs just over 10 kg, convenient for transportation. The engine is two-stroke, has a power of 1.25 HP, runs on gasoline. Used for cultivation, well Spud plow. Processes a layer about 22 cm deep. The quality matches the price.
- long service life;
- reasonable price.
- it crackles loudly;
- hard lumps push out the device;
- requires regular maintenance.
Daewoo DAT 3555R
The cultivator is manufactured in South Korea. It has a four-stroke engine with a capacity of 4 HP and an average weight of 30 kg. It plows to a depth of 28 cm. It runs on gasoline, has front and rear gears. Four milling cutters adjust the plowing width. The model is convenient to use in the country, easy to transport by car.
- powerful engine;
- high performance;
- the presence of two transmission;
- on soft ground, it can dig deep into the ground.
Neva MK-200-S6. 0
The design of the Neva MK-200-S6.0 petrol motor-cultivator includes a special device-a hitch, thanks to which mounted tools can be aggregated on the machine: plows, flat cutters, hoppers, etc. This middle-class cultivator performs a variety of functions:
- Plowing the land.
- Hilling of plants.
- Digging out beets, carrots, and potato tubers.
- Cutting rows and many other tasks.
The width of the gripper can be adjusted from 30 to 60 cm in one pass. The cutting edges of the cutters have high strength, so that the cultivator of this model can be operated throughout the year, regardless of the degree of complexity of the soil.
- Relatively low cost of the car.
- The cultivator is equipped with a high-quality air-cooled Subaru engine.
- The presence of 3 speeds – two front and one rear.
- Thanks to the large fuel tank (3.6 liters), the unit works for a long time without refueling.
- it is not very convenient to control the steering wheel, which can only be adjusted in a vertical plane in height;
- heavy construction weight.
In the series of medium petrol cars, the multifunctional model CHAMPION BC6712 is deservedly a true champion. This is the best cultivator for cottages in this segment. It has gained universal love and popularity among numerous users due to its high performance and adequate cost. Many farmers and owners of private homes do not always prefer heavy counterparts, using the American medium cultivator.
- The machine runs quietly, without vibrations.
- The high quality of the soil regardless of its complexity.
- The large fuel tank allows the cultivator to work for a long time without refueling with gasoline.
- High efficiency, plowing depth-not less than 33 cm, working width – 85 cm.
- Economy at the expense of moderate consumption of gasoline.
- Reliability and durability.
- No drawbacks were noticed.
Diesel model PRORAB GT 606 VDK
The most reliable and popular motor cultivators run on diesel fuel. Examples of such devices: PRORAB GT 606 VDK, RedVerg GOLIATH-2-9DMF, PATRIOT Boston 6D. Diesel units are designed for large areas. Their performance is 3-4 times higher than that of electric and petrol models. Advantages of motor cultivators running on diesel oil:
- economical fuel consumption;
- easy operation (no spark plugs, carburetor and other elements that need constant adjustment).
If you choose a water-cooled diesel engine with a starter motor, prepare for additional maintenance. Before starting work, each time you will have to fill the cooling system with purified water. You can use R22 refrigerant to cool the appliance, but then the operating costs will increase. Cons of diesel cultivators:
- need for an additional cooling system;
- a lot of noise when working;
- high cost.
FORTE 1050S 8″
The model belongs to the light class, is used in everyday life, for processing land up to 0.8 hectares. It is supplied complete with a locking lever, a soil cutter, and a pair of wheels. It weighs 100 kg, but with the help of a trailer, it is able to transport cargo up to 400 kg. The load-bearing frame is made of high-quality steel, the lightweight design provides good maneuverability on any ground. It is convenient and safe to operate the machine.
|Power output||4.5 HP|
|The amount of oil||1.1 l|
|Cooling system||air transport|
|Launch system||manual, mechanical|
|Number of gears||2 (front, rear)|
|Depth of processing||up to 30 cm|
- reliable diesel engine, low-speed and powerful, one of the best in its class;
- wide milling cutter, easily loosens the ground to a depth of 25 cm.
- the quality of metal processing, the surface is poorly sanded;
- the fuel pump clamps are not properly tightened, so we recommend that you check and re-tighten the clamps yourself before using them.
Aurora SPACE-YARD 1350 D PLUS
Designed for processing, cultivation of land on prisadova sites. This model is the most powerful in the Aurora line. Equipped with a three speed manual transmission, 1 reverse speed and two in the front. Economical fuel consumption, large tank capacity allow you to work for a long time without refueling. Processing area width: 800-1350 mm. Depth: 30 cm. Due to the weight of 117 kg. works with the plow without additional weighting.
- Reliable protection — a front bumper is installed, which covers the wheels and engine, prevents bumps and stones from falling.
- Excellent cross-country ability in any terrain.
- Comfort-the control knobs are 360-degree adjustable, also equipped with anti-slip rubber pads.
- Safe operation of the operator-the cultivator is equipped with good rubber mudguards that prevent the ground from falling from under the wheels on the person.
|Electric start-up||There are|
|The depth of plowing||25 cm|
|Width of plowing||135 cm|
|The manufacturer of the motor||Shineray|
- three-speed transmission;
- large supply of motor resources;
- secure locking of the wheels, the hex axles;
- possibility to equip the unit with a plow, cart;
- the robust cast iron gearbox housing will protect you from stones.
- not detected.
Electric cultivators for cottages
Country electric cultivator Greenworks G-MAX 40V
Electric cultivators are frequently used for the treatment of lawns and gardens.
- compact design;
- light weight;
- minimum noise level;
- absence of vibration;
- environmental safety;
- easy maintenance.
Most models are two-stroke, so cleaning the motor and gearbox from dirt takes a long time. When choosing an electric cultivator for a garden plot, take into account its disadvantages when working:
- limited capacity;
- low productivity;
- a power cord that will follow the user around the site;
- shallow depth of loosening.
CAIMAN TURBO 1000
The device is manufactured by a French company, works independently from the battery. No need to pull long wires. Weighs 32 kg, compact, convenient to use on garden and vegetable plots of medium area. The presence of a reverse is considered a plus.
- convenient, simple operation;
- two gears;
- the presence of a reverse image.
- the price is higher than the average.
Greenworks G-MAX 40V
A battery-type motor cultivator that can work continuously for 1 hour. The weight of the device: 16 kg, has 4 cutters, a powerful motor. Average cost: 14,990 rubles.
Greenworks G-MAX 40V
- average price.
- lots of noise;
- the battery is only suitable for this model.
Elitech KB 4E
German garden appliance. Weighs 32 kg, engine capacity up to 2.7 HP Cultivator has a chain gearbox. Cultivates soil to a depth of 15 cm. Powered by electricity. It makes very little noise. It can plow virgin land. It is used for cultivation of small plots.
- easy to use;
- compact size;
- there is no reverse gear.
Reliable and popular manufacturers of agricultural machinery
In terms of reliability and versatility, cultivators in Germany and the USA are leading the way. The cheapest equipment from Chinese and Russian manufacturers. In the online store with delivery, you can buy:
- American motorcycle cultivators(DDE ET1200-40 from DDE, MTD T / 240 from MTD, Champion EC750 from Champion, Mantis 2T Kioritz from Little Wonder).
- Russian-made motor cultivators(CAIMAN Turbo 1000 from kaiman, Neva Mini MK-100 from Krasny Oktyabr – Neva plant, Baikal 7.0 / 950 R from Patriot, MK-500 from Tselina, GOLIATH-2-7-D from RedVerg).
- German agricultural machinery(Herz GPT-60 from HERZ, Huter GMC-7.5(M) from Huter).
- Korean and Japanese motorcycle cultivators(HYUNDAI T 500 from Hyundai, HONDA FG-205 from HONDA).
- Chinese agricultural machinery(WM600 from Weima Weima).
- Belarusian motorcycle cultivators(MTZ Gnom MKP-1 from the Minsk tractor plant).
- Austrian equipment(HB 445 from Viking).